[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 14 20:16:03 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> While that sounds reasonable, my experience has been that very few
> attorneys know much about copyright issues, though they may well be
> able
> to bone up on the subject.

It's true. Most of them make it up as they go. :) My partner was in
negotiations about a song he co-wrote being reused. (The portion he
wrote was basically being removed and the other co-writer was writing
a new part to replace it. Kind of a mess.) Anyway.. one lawyer told
him he only had ownership over the portion he wrote. Another told him
to go find someone who specializes in music. He found one and was
finally told that he owns 50% of the song with this other person even
if he didn't write a thing in it because that's the way it was
credited when it was first published. Off topic, I know but the point
is that you will get different answers depending on who you ask and
usually the one with the answer that makes the most sense is the right
one. Most of the educational programming in the US I've seen comes
with a caveat that it can be used up to 1 year from the published date
and must be destroyed after that.

All that said, the myth list is no place to ask for that sort of
advice. We can all assume this guy is going to make sure his system is
used in whatever legal ways are allowed for his situation and get down
to the actual ability of the system he's trying to put together.