[mythtv-users] Waterproof myth?

David Greaves myth at dgreaves.com
Mon Jan 14 16:00:22 UTC 2008

James Cummings wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Quick question.  Do you have any problem with steam condensing on your
> monitor water-shield?  If so, have you considered doing the same thing
> they do with mirrors to keep them steam free? (i.e. put a low-wattage
> heating coil around the outside)
>
> I *wish* my wife would let me do this.  Well... if we had your
> bathroom she might but we don't, oh well.
>
> -James

In the end we don't actually have any problems with our installation. It can
steam up when not in use and the jets are on (which makes it quite humid in
there) but for normal baths or when in use there just isn't an issue.

I did quite a bit of digging on heated glass but couldn't find anyone to supply
me. I even tried to blag samples for an 'engineering development prototype' from
manufacturers around the world ;)

I wanted it to look neat (no 'stuck on' elements or visible wires). I also
considered running a hairdryer remotely (with ducting) to provide a warm
airflow. There is a light above the screen which I replaced with a CFL - that
and the screen provide enough warmth to keep it clear.

BTW, this was entirely my wife's idea - I thought it was a bit daft - got to
admit I was totally wrong.

David
cc'ed the list 'cos it's vaguely Myth related...