[mythtv-users] Motherboard choice ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 14 15:15:35 UTC 2008

A JM wrote:
> Wow! tough crowd... not even a read the wiki or jump of a bridge reply
> ... ;)
>
> So, maybe I should approach this a little differently... if you were
> building a new box what would be the MB of choice, AMD of course?

There are too many possibilities to give a specific answer. It depends
on what hardware you plan to use (AGP or PCIe video? How many PCI slots
do you need? Do you need gigabit ethernet, or a second network port? Do
you want to be able to handle digital audio? Do you need firewire?

What physical form factor? How many SATA and/or PATA ports do you need?
On-Board video or separate card?

Finally: How much spare cash do you have?

Basically any board known to work well with Linux that meets your
physical and electrical needs should work. Some people will tell you to
stay away from VIA chipsets, others will say they have fixed the
problems that they had years ago. Not sure about that one.

beww