[mythtv-users] DVI vs. S-Video

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 01:36:31 UTC 2008

Rich West wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I currently have an EVGA nVidia based e-GeForce 7100GS video card in
>> my Myth box, and I'm using the S-Video out to push the TV-Out to my
>> Samsung 46" DLP HDTV.  I've been thinking about this for a few days,
>> and I believe that I should be using the DVI connection from that
>> card to my TV.  I have 2 HDMI inputs on my TV and 1 is being used to
>> receive signals from my Comcast Motorola STB.
>>
>> I'm a little unsure how to configure my xorg.conf file to do this.
>> Also, I suppose that I'll have to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable.  Am I
>> correct in this?  I'm adding my current xorg.conf file contents
>> below, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
>>

> The title of the Wiki entry is a bit misleading, but check out
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut for details on how
> to get this set up.
>
> -Rich

Hey Rich!

I just got around to getting the DVI->HDMI cable hooked up, and I can't
get it working from within Linux.  When my Myth box reboots, I can put
my TV on HDMI2 and see the boot up process.  However, once the X server
starts, I get nothing.  I don't see anything in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log
file that indicates any problem.  I tried to follow the link in the Wiki
that you sent, as well as the following article to no avail:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=721770#post721770.

Here are the relevant sections of my xorg.conf.  Any ideas on what could
be wrong?  I'm actually curious as to whether or not the NTSC-M for
"TVStandard" is correct.  The above FedoraForum thread references HD720p.

Section "Extensions"
   Option    "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "nVidia"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce"
    Option      "TwinView"
    Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    Option      "ConnectedMontior" "CRT, TV"
    Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
    Option      "SecondMonitorVerRefresh" "60"
    Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
    Option      "TVOutFormat" "Composite"
    Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
    Option      "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600, 800x600;
640x480, 640x480;"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1280x960" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"1024x768" "800x600" "800x600" "640x480" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks,
Harry