[mythtv-users] Suspending a MythTV Box with a Hauppauge PVR-500

Ole Wolf wolf-dated-1201440398.396e86 at blazingangles.com
Sun Jan 13 13:26:38 UTC 2008

I want to be able to put my Ubuntu MythTV box to sleep with
the /etc/acpi/sleep.sh script, which performs a suspend-to-ram operation,
enabling a very fast wake-up of my MythTV machine.

It works, with one exception: after wake-up from suspend-to-ram, the Hauppauge
PVR-500 TV card no longer works. There are still /dev/video0 and /dev/video1
under /dev, but they seem to not provide any video
output; "mplayer /dev/video0" exits complaining that no codec is available,
for example. This also happens after a suspend-to-disk operation.

If I turn off the computer and restart it, the TV card works again. In short,
the Hauppauge PVR-500 card doesn't seem to be supported by the suspend
operations.

However, I'm completely satisfied if the TV card can simply be reset once the
computer has resumed. I don't need something fancy such as being able to
suspend the computer in the middle of a MythTV playback.

Can someone help me with the necessary steps required to reset the cards or
otherwise make them reappear after a suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk
operation?