[mythtv-users] FFW/REW stutters in Recordings - smooth in LiveTV

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 03:49:17 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 1:43 PM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 1:08 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Jonno wrote:
> >
> > > When I try to fast forward or rewind at > 3x while watching a
> > > recording the quality is awful. In LiveTV mode everything is very
> > > smooth. The content is exactly the same. What is the difference?
> >
> > Recording profiles?
> >
> Ahh, I see (from this http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html
> ). When I get home I'll check what is set up currently.
>
> Since LiveTV is working great (can't be a processor issue), what would
> be the drawback of setting everything to record that way? Is it a
> disk-space-saving thing?
>
> When I say that LiveTV works great, the replay and fast-forwarding
> does. I do have another problem when I change aspect ratio to
> something other than 4:3 zoom or 16:9 zoom. Then I get horizontal line
> distortion on fast-moving video. Think they are related?

Ok so I don't really understand the Recording Profiles setup but
here's what I have:
There are options, Hardware DVB Encoders & Transcoders
Under Hardware DVB Encoders there are 4 profiles, Default, LiveTV,
High Quality and Low Quality. None of them have "Enable auto-transcode
after recording" checked.
Under Transcoders there are 6 profiles: Autodetect from RTjpeg/MPEG4,
Autodetect from MPEG2, High Quality, Medium Quality, Low Quality

So if I understand this correctly there is no transcoding happening
right now in LiveTV or with recordings (which are using the default
profile) so they should all behave the same.

What other reason could there be for the terrible ffw/rew response on
my recordings?