[mythtv-users] Linux sucks -- so thinking of virtualizing MythTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jan 12 22:32:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 04:18:12PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 1:02 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > I am getting sick and tired of the inability to play h.264 1080p
> > videos under Linux without pausing and stuttering, while the
> > same system can play them under Windows flawlessly.
> > Basically, you need a really fast system to play 1080p videos
> > under Linux, while a much slower system, along with a moderate
> > video card such as an nvidia 6200 and a PureVideo player,
> > will do the job nicely under Windows.  This is the exact opposite
> > of the way things are supposed to be traditionally.
> >
> > So, what I am planning to do is get an HDHomeRun and
> > virtualize the MythTV installation under Windows.  That way I
> > could have the recordings saved to a shared partition, and
> > play them with Windows Media Player or some other player
> > that supports PureVideo.  This will obviously have problems
> > in terms of speed, so I need ideas for options here.
>

> You don't need virtualization to play videos under window.  Just share your
> MythTV recordings folder out via Samba and map it as a drive in Windows and
> play it however you want.  Myth will still run as normal under Linux and you
> just access the files remotely.  Virtualization is not your answer.

...not to mention. Just an HDhomerun should not
trigger any need for high resolution h264 decoding.
You would probably need to be ripping bluray or
HD-DVD disks for that to be an issue.

    Is there even an easy way to auto-transcode to
h264 at this point? I would think that would be more
of a grousing point than concerns about frontend
playback performance.