[mythtv-users] Linux sucks -- so thinking of virtualizing MythTV

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Jan 12 22:18:12 UTC 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 1:02 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

> I am getting sick and tired of the inability to play h.264 1080p
> videos under Linux without pausing and stuttering, while the
> same system can play them under Windows flawlessly.
> Basically, you need a really fast system to play 1080p videos
> under Linux, while a much slower system, along with a moderate
> video card such as an nvidia 6200 and a PureVideo player,
> will do the job nicely under Windows.  This is the exact opposite
> of the way things are supposed to be traditionally.
>
> So, what I am planning to do is get an HDHomeRun and
> virtualize the MythTV installation under Windows.  That way I
> could have the recordings saved to a shared partition, and
> play them with Windows Media Player or some other player
> that supports PureVideo.  This will obviously have problems
> in terms of speed, so I need ideas for options here.

You don't need virtualization to play videos under window.  Just share your
MythTV recordings folder out via Samba and map it as a drive in Windows and
play it however you want.  Myth will still run as normal under Linux and you
just access the files remotely.  Virtualization is not your answer.

Kevin