[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Paul Catchpole paul at paulcatchpole.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 22:06:08 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/10/2008 05:36 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:

>>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1104
>>>
>> Reading this ticket was interesting, but I don't get it.  How would such
>> a setup be...setup?  I can do 7.1 now if I simply pass-thru to my sound
>> card (at least I think I can) and my receiver can deal with it.  So what
>> does the work this ticket describes do?  Can someone explain it, please?
>>

> Allows 5.1-channel audio output through analog (or 5.1-channel
> re-encoding for timestretch).  Without the patch, you have 2 choices,
> 2-channel analog and/or AC-3/DTS passthrough.
>
> Mike

Isn't there a third choice here? Without the patch, setting myth to use
the 6-channel device and setting maxchannels to 6 will cause myth to
output 6-channel audio correctly. The patch addresses the problem that
then occurs with 2-channel audio sources where the same 6-channel device
is used, leading to 2-speaker output - whereas the current version of
the patch will upmix for you. The old version of the patch would let you
choose an alternative output device for using your own upmixer.

That's how it works for me, anyhoo... :-)

PC