[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 11 22:08:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> I have a 1080p TV as well.  But there is not content currently
> produced that is 1080p over component cables!

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

That says you're wrong.

> HD DVD and BluRay are down converted over component and you can not
> get the advanced audio.  Only DTS or Dobly Digital or optical.  Not
> DTS-MA, Tru HD, etc. as its HDMI/HDCP only.
>
> Mitchell

I don't use HDMI so whatever "enhanced" audio stuff is lost on me
anyway since my receiver will only take S/PIDIF for digital audio. So
my plan is to real-time capture a BluRay movie from the PS3 via
component/S/PDIF the first time I watch it with the new Hauppauge
device and then watch it with my Myth box every time after that. I
understand there will be compression beyond BluRay, but isn't that the
point of the device over just ripping the disc and bypassing the
encryption of the data?