[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

lemongecko at gmail.com lemongecko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:59:25 UTC 2008

On 1/11/08, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any full-res h.264 sample content that mplayer or xine
> will play so we can test it out?
> I'm hoping I don't have to upgrade my AMD X2 4200+ already.

You know what rocks? It hardly matters. You don't HAVE to encode the
video at 1080p, incurring all the CPU (and bitrate!) penalties
associated. In fact, I can't think of a single consumer product out
there that dumps a 1080p signal out via component video.

But anyway, just set your cable / sat receiver to output 720p and
everything will be converted to that. Playback might not be much more
intensive than playback of a 1080i TS with software deinterlacing (no
data on that, just conjecture).

Personally, if a day comes when 720p is considered a very base "low
res", I'll be a happy camper. :-D