[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jan 11 18:51:17 UTC 2008

David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> quoted from AVSforum:
> This is an ideal card to capture HD video from a cable or DBS STB
> over it's component analog outputs.

This is one thing that concerns me because I've never used it, but
<URL:http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/images/dct6200_back.jpg>
shows a S/PDIF jack on the back of the DCT6200. I hope my boxes have
it enabled.

> It appears from comments made on the Sage forums by Sage staff that
> they have already been talking to Hauppauge about this card and will
> have support for it in Sage TV soon.

I hope IJR or someone else representing the developers contacts
Hauppauge, stat.

> Sage already supports x264 playback with a Cyberlink or other codec,
> and the HD extender handles x264 playback fine as well, so this is a
> great fit for SageTV.

I guess this means this box's users would all have to move to 0.21 for
the x264-playback support. I imagine many people who happily play back
MPEG-2 HD video today with their MythTV boxes would have to upgrade
their hardware due to x264's greater horsepower demands. I wonder how
my 3.0GHz Pentium 4 frontend/backend (with a remote database) and
Nvidia 6200TC would do?

I'm OK with the status quo given my cable company's untrammeled
FireWire, but the news that alternatives for all are indeed coming is
*wonderful*.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Slave backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6