[mythtv-users] US cable companies and mandatory OTA channels

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 10 20:34:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:21:19PM -0500, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Do you ever see anything actually worth recording broadcast on a
> secondary subchannel? All the OTA stations around here only seem to
> broadcast either SD versions of the same content, or weather/news/stocks
> cruft on their secondary channels.

Here in LA we have 3 PBS stations, each with more subchannels
than the big 3 networks. I see shows (that I or a family
member wants to watch) overlap all the time.

Another possibility (that I'm not positive this new myth
change will accomplish) is to be able to leave live TV
watching ABC's weather channel, but record shows
off the main channel.

I would agree that 4x is stretching it (also begging the
question when you'd be able to watch that much). I'd also
agree that it raises the issue of whether you even *want*
a show at SD. But I like it because I can record a bunch of
kid shows at SD freeing up the main channel.