[mythtv-users] SVN 15166: playback profiles - Deinterlacers

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:14:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 1:58 PM, Paul Catchpole <paul at paulcatchpole.co.uk> wrote:

> Phill Wiggin wrote:

> >> Do you have XvMC turned on? This limits the deinterlacer choices.
> >>

> > Yes, I do.  However, I also had it turned on previously (otherwise,
> > the machine wouldn't smoothly play HD).

> I've got a similar setup, with a Sempron 3000 and FX5200. I haven't
> managed to get Xvmc working since the mythtv-vid merge, although I don't
> need it [no HD] so I've not been too bothered.
>
> Two thoughts spring to mind - one is whether you're still using Xvmc at
> HD resolution given the playback profiles, you can check in the frontend
> log - possibly better with -v playback. Also, are you actually using the
> opengl renderer, from mythtv-vid - that stresses my Sempron quite hard
> although it's fine for SD playback. I don't find the Sempron 3000 at
> 1.6ghz much of a massive upgrade from the PIII 800 it replaced -
> especially before I fixed the DSDT in the bios so it would actually run
> at 1.6ghz! :-)
>
> PC

Thanks for the suggestions. To debug the situation, I attempted to use
all the default profiles.  Then, I edited the default CPU+ profile and
tested.  Ultimately, I created my own profile that had only one rule
for testing.  I modified this rule to try each deinterlacer.  I also
tried both xvmc and xvmc-opengl.

I'll go back and re-test after disabling xvmc-opengl. (I'm not 100%
sure I ran all the tests that way too.)

Is there a wiki entry (or other documentation) on what each field
does, and the effects of each selection?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles gives the
basics, and the default values for each profile, but doesn't go into
detail about each selection.

Thanks,
Phill