[mythtv-users] New user problems

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:40:18 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Ken Williams <kenwilliams at oddpost.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to MythTV, built my first box and am having some trouble.
>
> Here are my particulars...at least the ones I can think of that would
> matter!
> I bought a used Dell GX280 and put in a PVR-350. I only have a 200GB SATA
> drive in it for now. I wanted to make sure it works before I invest more $$
> for
> a bigger drive. I loaded Mythdora 4.0, and couldn't get it to work. Then I
> downloaded
> the latest fixes, compiled it and it started working!! I haven't hooked it
> up to a TV
> yet, but it works on the monitor and to my PC using MythTV Player. If
> everything
> works well, I'll probably get another, smaller PC for the frontend and
> figure out
> how to get it hooked up.
>
> So my problems are these:
> 1. The picture skips about once a second....almost like a heartbeat.

What graphics do you have?
What processor do you have?
Have a look at top and tell us if the processor usage is max'd out
whilst watching TV?

> 2. The sound is kind of funny...like people have been on helium!! I have the
> output from the stb plugged into the PVR-350.

Follow the link in the second post, and if that doesn't work, read the
third post and look for that thread maybe... this might also be the
cause of #1.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264455?search_string=helium;#264455

> 3. I have DirecTV, have my account on Schedules Direct, and everything is
> fine
> there except for the local channels. I'm in the So. Cal. area and I can't
> find the
> local independents, like KCAL and KTLA. Is that something with Schedules
> Direct, or is it a mapping problem I need to fix?

Can't help you there...

> Any help would be appreciated. If any of this is documented somewhere,
> please
> let me know where. I've searched the docs on several sites, and watched this
> list
> for a week or so now and haven't found anything that helps!! HELP!!

Searching Gossamer is the goldmine of all knowledge ;-)

> Thanks
> Ken

I hope some of that helps.

Steve Daniels