[mythtv-users] Comcast/QAM

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 01:10:23 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 6:51 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm a Comcast SF Bay customer, but I believe the "UNKNOWNS" are the
> > "on-demand" streams to boxes that have requested them.  Nice to see they're
> > not ALL pr0n :)  These show up unencrypted - my completely un-informed guess
> > is that since they are random and unscheduled (at the whims of your Comcast
> > subscriber neighbors), Comcast sees no need to encrypt them.
> >
> We had that for months (not porn but the ondemand movies). It has
> since gone away so I assume they turned encryption on for that stuff.
>
> John

If that's what that is here, then encryption has been on those for at
least 6 months or more.  That's how long I've had my HRHomeRun, and
almost none of those come in clear, making it difficult to clean up
after a channel scan.  I have one or twice gotten one of the HBOHD
channels during "free preview" time, at least I assumed.  A week later
it went away again.