[mythtv-users] US cable companies and mandatory OTA channels

Preston Crow pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net
Wed Jan 9 21:09:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 15:51 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/09/2008 03:21 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:
> > Do you ever see anything actually worth recording broadcast on a
> > secondary subchannel? All the OTA stations around here only seem to
> > broadcast either SD versions of the same content, or weather/news/stocks
> > cruft on their secondary channels.
>
> Agreed.  I think the multirec is really only useful outside the US.

No, multirec is useful in the US for several reasons:

1) It allows back-to-back recordings on the same channel to overlap for
padding.  (I wish this were implemented for all tuners, not just
DVB--would be nice for Daily Show/Colbert Report on my PVR-250.)

2) Many cable companies put multiple networks on the same QAM channel,
so you can get interesting overlaps.

3) In Boston, the PBS station (WGBH) really does have different
programming on different subchannels.  This may be true in other areas,
too.