[mythtv-users] NAS

Ty Unes riverty at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 18:59:47 UTC 2008

Josh wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 10:38 AM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com
> <mailto:vbtalent at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ty,
>
>     I'm a bit green w/NAS servers, how did you have it setup for Myth
>     to understand? did you use Myth's storage directory's for multiple
>     disks in the NAS or some other process?
>
>     Thanks,

> You will setup and manage your NAS independently from your myth setup
> and then all you will need to do is mount the NAS from your backend
> and/or frontends VIA a standard NFS share. As far as Myth is concerned
> you will just point your recording directories to the NAS ( I.E.
> /mnt/nas/recordings) and myth won't know the difference since the NAS
> will be in charge of making sure the data is available.
>
> Josh

Josh is correct - OR - My setup:

Simply add something like below to /etc/init.d/rc.local or even put this
into /home/mythtv/.bashrc:

smbmount //nas-machine-name/disk1 //mnt/storagedisk1
smbmount //nas-machine-name/disk2 //mnt/storagedisk2
smbmount //nas-machine-name/disk3 //mnt/storagedisk3 .. etc.

And then your Mythbox would simply see the files on your NAS in
/mnt/storagedisk1 ... etc.

There are many ways to accomplish this, just pick which suits you.
Remember that I am running NASLite which exports drives as "disk-1"
"disk-2" "disk-3" etc.. If you run a Linux distro (NASLite is Linux as
well) your disk names may be different.

--
Ty Unes - UNIX / Linux Administrator
Point b Computer Services