[mythtv-users] US cable companies and mandatory OTA channels

Craig G. craig at goranson.org
Wed Jan 9 18:36:33 UTC 2008

There are specific regulations on what they must carry and how on HD and SD content after Feb 2009, but there seems to be some pretty big loop holes.  Myself I put up an Antenna.  You will generally get more content with antenna then cable for your local stations, as the must carry rules don't extend to multicast channels but just the primary channel.   So if your local NBC affilliate has  10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 you will only get the 10.1 on cable.

Som reading:
http://www.dwt.com/practc/communications/bulletins/09-07_MustCarry.htm

http://dtvfacts.com/87/will-my-cable-company-carry-the-new-local-multicast-channels/

Craig