[mythtv-users] US cable companies and mandatory OTA channels

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Wed Jan 9 18:22:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 1:09 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> Question for the US users:
>
> I've heard that cable companies are required (by law? regulation?
> agreement?) to include in their cable listing all stations that would
> otherwise be accessible in that area OTA.
>
> My question is - does that apply to just the content, or the actual
> format too? In other words, if a station can be received in HD OTA, does
> that mean that it will be received in HD via cable too? Or can the cable
> company just provide that station in SD, even though OTA it's being
> broadcast HD?
>
> I'm asking because I need to decide whether it's worth the trouble to
> install an antenna on the roof, or whether just using cable is fine.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/

Plug your tuner into your direct cable line and see what you can pick-up. I
don't trust my local cable provider so for me, it took about an hour to
setup a $30 antenna (and $20 worth of RG-6) on my roof and get plugged in to
numerous OTA HD broadcasts in my area (I live less them 30 miles from
Downtown Atlanta, GA).

Josh