[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 9 17:57:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:37 AM, Steve Smith wrote:
> On 08/01/2008, Dean Harding <dean.harding at dload.com.au> wrote:
> So while they may have removed the DRM from a couple of CDs, they
> still
> assume their customers are all criminals.
>

> Regarding the watermark, I can sympathise with Sony on this one.
> After all what I suppose most people want is the freedom to move the
> tracks between their own devices, a "fair use". If you then put the
> track onto a peer to peer network that's a bit unfair to Sony really
> so for them to be able to track this, is fair I suppose. Fair has to
> run both ways... at the moment of course Sony gets all the fair.

Yeah, I don't have a big problem with this either.  It's just a way
for them to determine where a track came from.  Saying that this means
they're "assuming their customers are criminals" is a bit like saying
that having to put a license plate on my car means the police are
assuming I'm going to commit a crime with it.