[mythtv-users] How to expire deleted files like LiveTV recordings?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 8 15:46:08 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Robert Longbottom wrote:

> On Tue, January 8, 2008 3:26 pm, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> They fill up space that we could be putting videos into.
>>
>> If you want to reserve a certain amount of space for videos, you can
>> tell myth to not use x MB of your drive.
>
> This "Are they bothering you?" question always seems to come up
> whenever a
> question like this gets asked, and yes, they obviously do bother
> people!
> I like to be able to go and look to see how much free space I have for
> upcoming recordings and to see that there is space, but I don't want
> stop Myth from using all of my drive..
>
> Maybe, what is needed, rather than something to delete live-tv /
> "deleted
> recordings" after a few days (although this would be nice ;) ), is a
> better free-space-o-meter.  One that shows a breakdown of space used
> by
> say, programs not allowed to expire, programs allowed to expire,
> livetv,
> programs marked for deletion, etc.
>
> Then you could look and say well I only have 150kb free on the disk,
> but
> 10Gb of that is marked for deletion, and 5Gb is livetv, so I really
> have
> 15Gb of space available for recording in.
>
> Because while I don't mind Myth expiring things I recorded a year
> ago and
> still haven't watched, I'd rather know when it is about to do this
> because
> there might be some things I'd rather keep than others.

The answer to "Are they bothering you?" allowed me to find out why he
wanted the space and I was able to offer an alternative that is
currently available which is much better than, "submit a patch"
response.
Oh.. and LiveTV can be set to auto-expire within x days. I don't think
deleted can currently be set the same way, but if you're that
concerned about it, view all deleted, add all to a playlist and delete
all in the playlist. Should take about 20 seconds of your time.