[mythtv-users] Bitrate questions (tuning/quality/standards)

Brad Dillon brad.dillon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:33:54 UTC 2008

I'm afraid I am also encountering similar problems.  My parents used to have
a Pioneer DVR appliance, but they decided to get rid of it.  I built them a
MythTV unit with the following specs:

Capture card : Hauppauge PVR500
            --> Capturing through the SVideo port at 720x480
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
Video Card: GeForce 7300 GS
            --> Outputing to 42" HDTV by SVideo out

My father has commented repeatedly that the quality of the MythTV box is
no-where near the captures of the Pioneer DVR Appliance.  The Appliance was
also connected to the TV via the S-Video.

I am at wits end about where I should be looking to improve the quality.  I
thought that the Hauppauge cards were supposed to have great capture
quality.  I also did some reading on the MythTVology website and Jarod
Wilson mentioned using an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component Video
Converter.  This would allow me to connect to my TV with Component cables.
Would this improve the quality that appears on the TV?

I must admit that I am perplexed how the signal can come in to the MythTV
box via SVideo, but need better cables for output it properly.

Any advice, comments, or suggestions you could give would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

- brad