[mythtv-users] Australian TV station show times...

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 14:39:09 UTC 2008

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> Dan Cotter wrote:
>> Anyone else notice how far shows can be away from their scheduled
>> start times?
>> I had to set to record 5 minutes early and end 15 minutes late, I am
>> still missing the end of some shows (I am in brisbane).
>> I look after boxes for my family/friends, most only have 80GB
>> harddisks, so its a big deal to have to record 55 minutes just to be
>> sure to get a 30 minute program.
>>
>> Apart from SBS, once you get to prime time (6pm onwards) every show
>> seems to be at least 5 minutes late on every channel. Also many
>> channels (channel 10 is the worst) don't show a water mark on most
>> shows from the last add break to the credits, as if they are
>> deliberate trying to foil add removing software.
>>
>> I remember hearing that someone was settings up a real-time online
>> server that would show when exactally a show had just commenced, with
>> the idea you could just poll it every couple of minutes. Was this ever
>> done?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dan
>>
> Dan
>
> I too have been noticing they are getting worse. I get my signal from
> the Woolongong area of Sydney and am only seeing pretty close to
> start/end times from ABC and SBS. Prime (7), WIN (9) and Southern Cross
> (10) are abysmal - WIN especially. I too have 5 in front and 15 behind
> and I missed at least half of the shows recorded off WIN. I am talking a
> programmed start time of say 7pm and the actual show I am after starting
> 15 to 20 mins *after* that. I don't know what they are playing at but
> thank goodness for Myth where I can just adjust and edit later if need be.

I don't know what the legal situation is in Oz but in the UK, if the networks
were consistently that sloppy I think both trading standards and the various
regulatory bodies would be having a close look at the situation. After all,
these people are supposed to be providing a service, and presumably they have to
have some kind of licence (with conditions) to enable them to do that.

Worth taking a look, if you know the right people?

Mike Perkins