[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 03:36:19 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 2:25 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:57 -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:
> > [myth at mythtv ~]$ free -m
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> > cached
> > Mem:           939        707        232          0         67
> > 213
> > -/+ buffers/cache:        426        513
> > Swap:         2596          0       2596
> >
> > so am i ok?
>
> Yes, 213 MB of your free RAM is used as cache in an attempt to speed
> things up.
>
> Nico

So the bleeding packages didnt really fix anything.  When i was watching
HDTV and a commflag was going on i see this with free -m

[myth at mythtv ~]$ free -m
Mem:           939        930          8          0          1         88
-/+ buffers/cache:        840         98
Swap:         2596       1069       1527
[myth at mythtv ~]$

So ram is full and a gig of swap is being used!  The system really
drags.....  I just upgraded this box and was expecting stuff like this to
fly when I have a 2.4ghz dual core!  Is this just how it is?

Mitchell