[mythtv-users] Encode SD to H264 via mencoder - best settings

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Mon Jan 7 17:11:30 UTC 2008

Hi *

As subject line says, I want to encode SD (720x576 interlaced, 4-6Mb/s)
content to non-interlaced H264. Container can be avi.

Currently I was able to achieve quite good quality with latest mencoder
SVN & following settings (here only video part):

VIDEO_FirstPass="-ovc x264 -x264encopts
pass=1:bitrate=1200:cabac:deblock:frameref=3:bframes=2:b_adapt:qp_step=4:weight_b:chroma_me"

VIDEO_SecndPass="-ovc x264 -x264encopts
pass=2:bitrate=1200:cabac:deblock:frameref=3:bframes=2:b_adapt:qp_step=4:weight_b:chroma_me"

Issue is interlacing. Converted content is still interlaced. Playing it
on VLC with deinterlace ON gives really nice picture, however with
deinterlace OFF it has classical "interlace" distortions on fast moving
parts :-(
As my system is default noninterlaced - I want to have sll contene as noninterlaced.

I was trying add video filters like i.e. "-vf yadif=3,mcdeint" but
result was:
-content start to be deinterlaced
-all movements are visibly "vibrant"
-video & audio are out of sync & video is much slower

Can somebody hint me how to improve my mencoder parameters to have
proper interlacing & keep good quality ?

Also maybe this thread might be good place to share other ppl optimal
SD->H264 mencoder parameters...

thanx in advance