[mythtv-users] "queue" feature in mythmusic

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:34:52 UTC 2008

2008/1/6, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com>:
> Dewey Smolka wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2008 5:54 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> I do not know about you, but I always liked the queue feature in xmms
> >> or winamp.
> >>
> >> when you play a song in one of the these programs and press "q", the
> >> song will be put in queue and it ill be played after the song
> >> currently being played. "queue" can contain as many songs as you want.
> >>
> >> I am looking for something similar in mythmusic. any ideas?
> >>

> > I would absolutely love to see a feature like this in MythMusic. I've
> > brought it up on the list a couple times, and I only wish I had the
> > skills to code it.
> >
> > Not that I'm knocking anybody or anything -- I love my Myth system and
> > you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. But this is a
> > feature that would make it even better.
> >

> You can always use the search feature to find the track you want and
> then you have the option to replace, insert after the current track or
> append to end of the active playlist. You can also do the same for the
> quick playlists (All tracks from current Artist etc.) and smart
> playlists. Does this not allow you to do what you want?
>
> Paul H.

Maybe it does, although it did not work for me last time I tried it.

But I was also not sure what does "append to end of the active
playlist" mean because I am not sure what is the "active playlist"...
I never manually create(d) playlists, I just select a song which I
want to listen to. And when I have 4-5 songs in my mind, which I want
to hear after each other, mythmusic makes it pretty hard.

what is active playlist when I go through the tree?
"A -D"   ->  "ABC Artist"   -> XY Album -> Play "XY Song"

I think that the active playlist is the whole album at that moment. Am
I right? When I change to an another song and artist, the other album
or artist will become "active playlist" because mythmusic stops
playing with the last song of the album?

I did not test the playlists a lot, but I was just looking for a nice
shortcut to have a button on my remote to put a song in queue to play
it after the last song in the queue. and one more button to delete it
from the queue.

that means, when I compare it to xmms, winamp or rhythmbox:
1. XY album is the active playlist and Mythmusc is playing  A song
from the album. Let's say, there are 5 more songs to be played after
song A.
2. When I press "queue" I want to play the selected B song (from an
another artist) after the song being currently played. 5 other songs
which should be played after song A are forgotten.
3. I select song C and press "queue" again and it should be played after song B.
4. I select song D and press "queue" again and it should be played after song C.
5. When playing song D is over and there are no other songs in the
queue, Mythmusic plays next song from the album where song D belongs
to or it goes back to the last active playlist before queue.

That is in my eyes the "queue behavior" from many desktop music
players and I was looking for this in Mythmusic.

> insert after the current track or append to end of the active playlist.
this is a partly solution, because "queue" is actually jumping through
the playlist(s) and it continues playing playlist when the queue is
empty.

When I click on "insert after current track" it will play the selected
right after song currently being played. When I find 10 songs and
click every time on "insert after current..", the song I selected
first will be played as last one, because all other 9 songs will be
inserted before. They will get reversed order. Is that right?

Is there some kind of "technical reason" why should be clicked on
"menu" button, "search" button and than "insert after current track"
just to play it as the next song.

thanks for the help