[mythtv-users] Quality Sound from Over The Air Broadcast

Michael Lovelace spidey at world-net.net
Sat Jan 5 18:16:56 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I've got a Ubuntu setup with MythTv backend/frontend on a single
machine, with a Hauppage HVR-950. Everything seems to work pretty well,
except that live TV sound crackles a bit and seems just a bit lower
volume than everything else on the system. DVD/Video and music playback
all sound great.

Right now I just have it hooked up to the over-the-air ATSC/NTSC signals
with the backend pointing a /dev/dsp1 for audio, and the front end using
the default ALSA:mixer.

Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of this sound? I
thought it might be poor signal at first, but I'm actually getting great
signal strength, and great video quality.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike