[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Sat Jan 5 15:23:23 UTC 2008

>It seems Sony BMG has decided to abandon DRM. EMI did the
>same thing about 8 weeks ago. Several companies have withdrawn
>from the RIAA recently as well. Multiple DRM free download
>sites now exist legally.

>http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008013_398775.htm

>What we are seeing is the natural consequence of companies
>attempting to infringe on the right of the consumer to take
>their media anywhere they want, when they want, without having
>to pay again for what they already own. The RIAA and MPAA can
>litigate, and governments can legislate, but in the end market
>pressures rule the day.

I find it interesting that it's effectively DRM killing DRM.

The market was free.  Each player invented their business model and let the
consumer decide.  DRM only made the situation a winner-take-all by not
allowing the business models to work with each other, and the stakes were
higher.  Now we see the losing players want to change the rules mid-game to
their favor.

It's sad that we (consumers) have to wait for money-grubbers to lose out
before we can be given the rights to retain and use what we pay for, but at
least decency prevails.  All's well that ends well?  Maybe.