[mythtv-users] How do master and slave backends divide up work?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 4 14:32:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 11:48 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> I have two backends. The master backend has two tuners. The slave
> backend has two tuners. The database runs on the slave backend. Both
> backends have equivalent access to the two arrays where recordings go
> to.
>
> When one of the the slave backend's tuners is in action, how should I
> envision the division of labor?
>
> a) Slave backend writes recording to disk; master backend updates
>   recordedseek and other database tables
> b) Slave backend writes recording and also updates database
> c) Each bit of the recording is sent over the network to the master
>   backend, which handles both the writing and database-updating; the
>   slave backend is only used as a physical connection point for the
>   tuner
>
> I'm pretty sure c) isn't the case, but is it a), b), or something
> else?

I think it's b since I've had my master backend go down while my slave
was recording and it didn't have a negative effect on the slave's
recording. master tells slave, "here, record this." and the slave
happily does it until it's done and reports back to the master saying,
"all done." Well, maybe not happily since it is a "slave", but you get
the idea. :)