[mythtv-users] EIT Vs Radio Times

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 12:51:46 UTC 2008

John Pullan wrote:
> On 02/01/2008, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:02:19PM +0000, GR wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using Myth for a while (I'm on 0.20.2) and the recent flurry
>>> of e-mails about the Radio Times XML feed going down has nudged me to
>>> ask: What are the pros & cons of using the RadioTimes XML feed over the
>>> EIT feed ?
>>>
>>> From what I can see, the EIT feed is simple and works. Or am I missing
>>> something big ?
>>>
>> The big problem I found with using EIT are that the show titles are
>> inconsistent and not infrequently change at the last minute.  I usually
>> plan the week's TV at the weekend, and finding that a show name has then
>> changed and it's not been recorded is _very_ irritating.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>         Robin
>> --
>>
> Is this using UK  DVB-T ? If so I've not noticed any issues.

Absolutely. I posted about this very problem a couple of days ago. On certain
channels, the program guide can be completely wrong, or just out in the timings.
As other posters have noted, there can be detail differences in titles,
subtitles and/or descriptions on any channel which can cause havoc with recordings.

The RT feed is reasonably accurate, enough for our purposes. There's also the
increased tuner/database activity you will experience if you use the EIT feed.

Mike Perkins