[mythtv-users] ivtv0, MPEG buffers full. Dropping Data

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 00:15:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 11:01 AM, Daniel Arfsten <darfsten at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  > I just went to look at dmesg for some other reason and found these
> errors.
> >
> > [108715.863315] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full.
> Dropping
> > data.
> > [108715.863320] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast
> enough.
> > [187845.748109] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full.
> Dropping
> > data.
> > [187845.748115] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast
> enough.
>
> >>I get these every once in a while. It's not anything to worry about
> >>unless you're getting a constant stream of them during every
> >>recording. It's difficult to diagnose just based on these messages.
> >>What was the load of the machine while the recording was in progress?
> >>How much I/O activity was there?
>
> >>I get these in the rare instances where my backend is transcoding,
> >>commercial flagging, mythfilldatabase is running and both tuners are
> >>recording at the same time.
>
> >>The impact on my recordings is minimal... maybe some garbled/missing
> >>frames for a few seconds.
>
> >>Joe Ripley
> >>vitaminjoe at gmail.com
>

> Joe,
> Thanks for the reply. I can't say how much I/O activity there was at the
> time since I can't read the dmesg error time? I can't see anything unusual
> in the mythbackend.log file? I'll have to check out my recent recordings
> for any missing frames and whatnot as I am way behind on watching stuff. I
> have stuff from October to watch, he he he. I have a 500gb hdd on my main
> backend with a PVR-350 and a 500gb on a secondary backend with a PVR-500 in
> it. Recordings are stored on their own machines since I couldn't figure out
> the whole NFS share thingy. Thanks for your comments. Happy New Year.
>
> daniel

> /var/log/messages would have more information.  It will have the specific
times when these errors occured so maybe you can check that against your
crontab to see if there is anything happening during those times.  This is
how I found out my 1:00 AM scheduled backups of mythconverg were causing
these errors.  Also follow the knoppmyth wiki about increasing the mpeg
buffers for ivtv cards.  I used to have these errors but not anymore.