[mythtv-users] 1080p x264 playback Chip Speed

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Wed Jan 2 18:58:35 UTC 2008

Hey Everyone,

My theater room box has done me well, but now I'm starting to play with
x264 encoded 1080p files, and the system just doesn't have enough
horsepower to play them in linux.  Since I have a mobo that is really
common in HTPC systems I figured I'd ask if anyone else has a chip
recommendation that would work well for it.  I currently have an ASUS
M2NPV-VM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014)
board and use the onboard Nvidia 6150 graphics, with a Sempron 3400+ chip.
 Anything up to 720p source works fine, but 1080p x264 stutters.  These
chips fit my board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2+50001028+40000343+1051720996&name=Socket+AM2

Looking to make sure I have more than enough under the hood to play,
without breaking the bank (usual).  Also, using mplayer, will the a dual
core system help? (running 64bit FC6).

Thanks,
Ben