[mythtv-users] Should I be transcoding? UK DVB-T

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 18:49:52 UTC 2008

Steve Daniels wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I've done a bit of reading here, there, and everywhere trying to
> figure out if I should be transcoding or not. My sources are a number
> of Nova-T's receiving Freeview in a modest backend. And the primary
> frontend is an Epia M10K.
>
> Should I be transcoding?
> To reduce file size?
> To make playback easier on the Epia?
> To remove those pesky blips and glitches when it's really windy/sporadic signal?
> Is it time to experiment with commercial detection? (Something which
> would probably end up with me getting obsessive about it and
> relearning c++..)

I've got a similar set up and use lossless transcode, It reduces file
size by ~15% and is very fast. I did try transcoding to MPEG4 but those
pesky blips and glitches cause the audio/visual sync to gradually slip.
Wrecked Mary Poppins and I had to wait months for it come around again.
Commercial detection would be great if you can do it but changing the
right/left buttons to skip 29s is pretty good (those commercials are
charged by the microsecond so they get exactly what they pay for).

Cheers,
Tim.