[mythtv-users] ivtv0, MPEG buffers full. Dropping Data

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:01:52 UTC 2008

> I just went to look at dmesg for some other reason and found these errors.>> [108715.863315] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping> data.> [108715.863320] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.> [187845.748109] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping> data.> [187845.748115] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.>>I get these every once in a while. It's not anything to worry about>>unless you're getting a constant stream of them during every>>recording. It's difficult to diagnose just based on these messages.>>What was the load of the machine while the recording was in progress?>>How much I/O activity was there?>>I get these in the rare instances where my backend is transcoding,>>commercial flagging, mythfilldatabase is running and both tuners are>>recording at the same time.>>The impact on my recordings is minimal... maybe some garbled/missing>>frames for a few seconds.>>Joe Ripley>>vitaminjoe at gmail.comJoe,
Thanks for the reply. I can't say how much I/O activity there was at the time since I can't read the dmesg error time? I can't see anything unusual in the mythbackend.log file? I'll have to check out my recent recordings for any missing frames and whatnot as I am way behind on watching stuff. I have stuff from October to watch, he he he. I have a 500gb hdd on my main backend with a PVR-350 and a 500gb on a secondary backend with a PVR-500 in it. Recordings are stored on their own machines since I couldn't figure out the whole NFS share thingy. Thanks for your comments. Happy New Year.

daniel