[mythtv-users] Help Tracking down a memory leak issue with MythTV SVN

Erik Sejr esejr at wildroseinternet.ca
Wed Jan 2 05:58:45 UTC 2008

I have been running the SVN version of myth for sometime and I am currently
running build 15275. About a month ago my frontend kept on locking up once
per day, I noticed that mythfrontend was using an increasing amount of
system memory as time passed. Starting from about 15% after it was run and
creeping up to about 75% of the total system memory after about 8 hours of
running. Eventually the system would lock up with the hard drive light
solid, I assume because it was trying to swap everything to disk and the
swap was full as well.

Once the system memory is almost full the following errors start showing up
in the log:

myth_system(): Error: fork() failed because cannot allocate memory

I don't have any experience tracking down problems like this and I was
wondering if anyone would lead me though some steps that may help track
down the source. If it is a bug in Myth I would like to have enough
information to file a useful bug report for the devs. I have tried is the
following:

-Reverting to the Kernel I was running before this started happening.
-Rebuilding MythTV with a few different options (none have helped).
-Completly reinstalling MythTV (deleting the old files, dropping &
recreating the database, deleting all old recordings/caches etc.)

I am currently building it with the following options:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --libdir-name=lib64 --enable-xvmc
--cpu=athlon64 --xvmc-lib=XvMCNVIDIA --enable-opengl-video

Configure Output follows:

# Basic Settings
Compile type              release
Compiler cache            symlink gcc
DistCC                    no
install prefix            /usr/local
CPU                       x86_64 (athlon64)
big-endian                no
MMX enabled               yes
CMOV enabled              yes
CMOV is fast              no

# Input Support
Joystick menu             yes
lirc support              yes
Apple Remote              no
Video4Linux sup.          yes
ivtv support              yes
FireWire support          no
DVB support               yes [/usr/include]
DBox2 support             yes
HDHomeRun support         yes
IPTV support              yes

# Sound Output Support