[mythtv-users] Intro---

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 1 10:48:14 UTC 2008

On 1 Jan 2008, at 06:20, Mike Barnard wrote:
>> Since I'll probably have MySQL running on
>> the system disk (CF) I wondered if the 4GB CF would be sufficient
>> space
>> for all that file handling. Or should I just nix it for a HDD.
>
>     I was actually considering the same thing. I have some IDE-to-CF
> adapters, and I like the idea of low power consumption and complete
> lack
> of noise. However, there's just no way CF would hold up for any length
> of time given the level of write activity involved in Myth (especially
> with MySQL).

This is something I'm interested in, but haven't tried. I understood
that modern flash devices would handle many more writes than early ones.

A quick Google:

   ... some industry analysts[2] have calculated that flash memory
can be
   written to at full speed continuously for 51 years before exceeding
   its write endurance, even if such writes frequently cause the entire
   memory to be overwritten. This figure (51 years) involved a worst-
case
   scenario using specific data parameters and should not be confused
   with a particular "shelf life" for a flash memory device.
   [from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Limitations>]

However I'm not aware of anyone using a flash-based filesystem for
Myth. To be on the safe side, an alternative might be to keep the
MySQL database on a RAM disk and sync it periodically, but I'm not
sure of the repercussions should power fail between syncs (say with a
Myth database 30 minutes out-of-date WRT the recordings).

Stroller.