[mythtv-users] Display ip of of the frontend?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:05:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Peter Andersson
<pandersson61 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i have just convinced my sister to get a mythtv box (she really hates
> computers). Since she lives in another city i need to have remote access
> to her computer in order to preform updates and such. This is (of course)
> easily done via ssh but since she as a dynamic ip i need a way to get her
> ip address. The easiest way for her to get it would be via the myth
> frontend, is there an (easy) way to display the computers ip address via
> the frontend or does this require changes in the code?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Peter

Although I agree that the best way to do this would probably be via
the dyndns option, if you aren't up for that you could setup an MTA
and email you the IP instead.  Then all that would be required would
be either:
a.  A daily email of the IP
or
b.  A menu entry where she clicks "for support" and it emails you
basic information including the IP.

Creating menu entries would be easy enough, it's figuring out how to
grab the IP.  I'd personally look at probably hitting up a page like
http://www.whatismyip.com and echoing that to the mail.

-Chad