[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR (A bit more info for those starved for it)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Feb 29 16:21:59 UTC 2008

>  > Yeah.  We on this list are still using e-mail.  We haven't switched to
>  > Google's new "standard" that tries to change the way e-mail works...  ;)
>
>  Really, that's interesting are Google trying to change the way e-mail
>  works? That smacks of the sort of thing
>  MS allegedly got up to...

It smacks of something alright, but that something is BS.

There is no "new standard". They aren't changing anything about the
way email works. The email is compatible with other systems. It's able
to pop from other accounts, and you can login to gmail with both pop
and imap clients. In my experience, it works perfectly with
thunderbird. The only thing that I've found in anyway non standard is
the fact that gmail uses labels rather than folders. However, most
people I know find labels to be more powerful (with the exception of
not being able to nest labels). And labels can be mapped transparently
to IMAP folders, so if you don't want to use the web interface (which
I find to be incredibly user friendly) everything will be just fine in
thunderbird.

There has been some (IMHO ridiculous) backlash from the tech community
against google. People are suddenly treating google like microsoft for
very little reason. Yeah, they've made a few bad decisions, but what
company hasn't. Overall, I still find them to be one of the most
responsible and most trustable companies out there. I think people are
afraid of what they *could* become rather than what they have become.
I believe this is what the post was about, and I personally wouldn't
pay much attention to it. If you are happy with gmail and google (as I
am) then pay little attention to those sort of comments.

--
Ron