[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR (A bit more info for those starved for it)

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Feb 29 15:51:41 UTC 2008

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Chad wrote:
>

>> A better example is Nvidia.  How many of us are IT professionals in
>> organizations that support 1000+ workstations/desktops?  I would
>> assume a good portion of us are, and when it comes to making a
>> decision on which video card to put into those systems, I know that
>> several times we have had ATI as a default option and instead opted
>> for Nvidia simply because of our experience of using the cards on
>> Linux.  The workstations will likely never run Linux (at least the
>> majority of them inside the labs) and yet the influence Nvidia has
>> because of their ability to provide us with what we need in the Linux
>> world just gained them an additional 1000 sales, by providing Linux
>> drivers to 1 or 2 IT people.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  I certainly would not suggest putting nVidia cards
> into office type workstations that needed only "business class"
> graphics, or servers being managed by serial ports. That would simply
> not make economic sense.

Why not. There are plenty of dirtcheap systems that come with nvidia
video. Infact, my current desktop/webserver fits into that category.
Such systems are plenty cost competitive with other vendors that have
bad Linux reputations.

This isn't so much about clearly favoring one vendor over the other
without all else being equal. It's about what you choose when multiple
products are in a dead heat.

Of course you are going to go with the product that has a better
reputation across the board. Negative PR is still negative PR. A
lot of people might not even themselves pick up on the linux-centric
bias.

> OTOH I'm sure that nVidia and other companies have made sales that are
> only indirectly related to their having supported the Linux community.
>
> What I would like to see is some way of making sure that manufacturers
> know when a sale has resulted from their support of Linux. For example
> I want Hauppauge to know I purchased their product because it is
> supported in Linux, and that their assistance to the IVTV people
> resulted in  additional sales.

    Email their marketing people. Tell them what products you've
used in the past. Gush where appropriate. Tell them you intend to
buy more Linux supported products in the future.