[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR (A bit more info for those starved for it)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 04:29:42 UTC 2008

[SNIP]

>  So the question is how do the numbers of "aware" MythTV users vs. the
>  number of typical consumers.

I would think that by proxy the number of aware "Linux" (not just
Myth, but any PVR-ish system) users is very high for the market.  I
know that a minimum of 250 people (I think I could even name nearly
all of them) would ask me which "device" they should buy regarding
"capturing" video from device X (maybe a DVD player, maybe an
HD-Receiver, maybe a VCR...).  So although not every one of them view
MythTV as the ultimate solution as I do, they do consider me the
"expert" and take my advise (usually :D ) when the topic comes up.

>  I'd really like to know how many PVRs that Hauppauge sold went into
>  Myth systems as opposed to Windows boxes.

The same somewhat holds true here.  Without Linux support, the
(estimated) 250 peole wouldn't be getting the recommendation to
purchase the card (regardless of which platform they are looking to
use it on).  So although the customers may be using these on Windows
based systems, they wouldn't even have purchased them in the first
place if a Linux user hadn't recommended it.

A better example is Nvidia.  How many of us are IT professionals in
organizations that support 1000+ workstations/desktops?  I would
assume a good portion of us are, and when it comes to making a
decision on which video card to put into those systems, I know that
several times we have had ATI as a default option and instead opted
for Nvidia simply because of our experience of using the cards on
Linux.  The workstations will likely never run Linux (at least the
majority of them inside the labs) and yet the influence Nvidia has
because of their ability to provide us with what we need in the Linux
world just gained them an additional 1000 sales, by providing Linux
drivers to 1 or 2 IT people.

>  BTW - I'm concerned that the content Nazis will have their way before
>  the device is released. I suspect some restrictions on the device at
>  the least.

Indeed!  Hopefully Hauppauge will be strong enough to say these words:
"!%!#$%  !#$%!#%$"  (translate them to your liking)

>  beww

-Chad