[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 01:22:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised if they get "political" pressure though.

Why?  (Rhetorical Question)

It's statements/questions like that that make people think that
devices like this are a bad thing and should be feared.  I see no
reason why this should result in any political pressure.  I completely
am aware of the RIAA/MPAA's side of the arguement, but let's not add
to the FUD.  Let's call this what it is... a device that takes an
analog signal we pay for and allows us to put that on devices that
already legally record analog signals we pay for.  Nothing more,
nothing less.

I understand what you are saying, and you might be right - but it
seems like more and more people on this list are becoming more and
more afraid about talking about fair use.  People on here often are
even afraid to touch a few topics so much, that even the developers
have taken stances on keeping features out of myth because they
_could_ be used in some round-a-bout way to support piracy or violate
some recording studio's interpretation of the DMCA.  I understand they
want to make sure they don't put themselves in a position to even be
considered an issue, and therefore remain in the background of all the
noise, but I hope myth doesn't eventually become something that's
scared to grow in some really cool ways just because some people in
Hollywood can't grasp the concept that consumer's should have some say
over how they use the content they pay for.

Reminds me way too much about the broadcast flag FUD in 2005.
Thankfully, that ended well.

</soap box>

Thanks!
Matt

P.S.  Brian - that statement wasn't directed at you at all... just
seen a lot of statements like this lately.  Let's stop worrying about
something until there's something to actually worry about.

... and, I can't wait for my HD PVR! :-D