[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 21:26:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I don't think Dell sells anything with only analog out.
> >

> We got new desktop PCs for everyone here at work in December, and we went
> with Dells.   The machines are Core 2 Duos with Intel G33 graphics chipsets,
> i.e. reasonably powerful and modern systems.  Along with the computers we
> ordered Dell 22" LCDs.
>
> When the computers arrived, I was dumbfounded to discover that they only
> had VGA outputs.  I was, frankly, a little bit pissed off.
>
> The confusion and anger quickly disappeared as soon as I hooked up one of
> the computers to one of the monitors.   The picture is perfect at
> 1680x1050.  For years I have been heavily biased against VGA connections to
> LCD monitors because I have seen plenty of setups where using VGA instead of
> DVI resulted in a slightly blurry picture.
>
> Something has improved dramatically since then, though.  I don't know if
> it is the graphics chip, the monitor, or some combination of the two that is
> responsible, but there doesn't seem to be anything to be gained with a DVI
> connection on the newest hardware.
>
> Everyday,  I sit in front of two monitors at my desk.  Both are 1680x1050
> 22" LCD panels.  One is attached, via VGA, to one the new Dell PCs running
> Ubuntu.  The other is attached, via DVI, to a macbook running OS X - nearly
> identical hardware to the Dell.   The VGA driven monitor is about a year
> newer than the DVI driven one, and it looks *better*.
>
> -chris

I believe that Intel released cheap ($30 or $40) PCI-e cards that connect
directly into the onboard graphics card and give you DVI-D maybe DVI-I.  I
think you can then run dual monitors in that setup.  I have never tried
this, and I of course don't have the link.  I believe I found it at the
Linux-Intel page.

Jim