[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 21:13:15 UTC 2008

>  For years I have been heavily biased against
> > VGA connections to LCD monitors because I have seen plenty of setups
> > where using VGA instead of DVI resulted in a slightly blurry picture.
>
> Most people aren't using the native resolution of the LCD from their
> analog VGA port. I've often seen people buy a relatively cheap LCD
> display and leave it at 800x600 or 1024x768 since that's what their
> CRT was set to. They say, "Yeah, it's kinda blurry but it was cheap."
> I flip the resolution to the native res of the LCD and they're blown
> away at how good it looks except, "Why is everything so small now?".
> Oy vey.

Very true, but the setups I was referring to were native resolution.  I've
owned a couple of different LCD monitors that had both VGA and DVI ports,
and neither of them ever looked terribly good when being fed an analog
signal.

Seeing an LCD panel at a non-native resolution really pisses me off.  The
worst is when I see a 1440x900 15" laptop panel at 1024x768.   Call me
crazy, but I think circles should be round.

Of course, I do my best to bite my tongue when I see such things, knowing
full well that I have no business caring in the first place.

When I walked into my next door neighbor's house on Super Bowl Sunday and
saw his brand new 42" LCD (which replaced a 32" CRT) displaying a stretched
SD picture , well, that was more than I could take.

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL