[mythtv-users] seeking video hardware recommendations

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:09:01 UTC 2008

On 2/27/08, Richard Bronosky <BrunosJunk at bronosky.com> wrote:

> It's time to bury this system http://www.bronosky.com/?p=21  And one
> thing I learned from my first MythTV build is that I should start with
> reliable video hardware support and build backwards.  I'm going to
> separate the FE and BE this time to optimize the playback experience.
> Here is what I am thinking.
>
> 1. I'd prefer low power consumption.  (which adds the side benefits of
> low heat and low noise)
> 2. I'd like to use VIA cpu, but I am not dead-set on it.
> 3. It must be able to playback HD from an HDHomeRun (MPEG2 TS)
> 4. It must be able to output an industry standard 720p and 1080i
> signal so my HDTV will "just work" like it does with my $40 upsampling
> DVD player

If you are building a separate FE - I'd seriously consider an Apple Mac
Mini.  I have one as a frontend and it is brilliant.  It's VERY low noise
(my plasma screen is louder), it plays HD, 'just works' with a HDTV (mine at
least), and it has optical audio out.  I run mine on Fedora 8 which
installed without any hassles.  If you are so inclined you can dual boot
into Apple OSX mode (and even run myth - but I prefer myth under Linux).