[mythtv-users] seeking video hardware recommendations

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Wed Feb 27 23:57:47 UTC 2008

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> It's time to bury this system http://www.bronosky.com/?p=21  And one
> thing I learned from my first MythTV build is that I should start with
> reliable video hardware support and build backwards.  I'm going to
> separate the FE and BE this time to optimize the playback experience.
> Here is what I am thinking.
>
> 1. I'd prefer low power consumption.  (which adds the side benefits of
> low heat and low noise)
> 2. I'd like to use VIA cpu, but I am not dead-set on it.

Keep in mind the VIA cpu's aren't the most potent of processors.  Also
keep in mind that the mini-ITX boards that aren't passive cooled, will
come with 40mm fans.  They work but can whine in an annoying manner.
For what they bring to the table, they're kind of expensive IMHO.
> 3. It must be able to playback HD from an HDHomeRun (MPEG2 TS)

Can't comment, I'm a limey, but mpeg2 is will within the capabilities of
any processor on the market I'd say.
> 4. It must be able to output an industry standard 720p and 1080i
> signal so my HDTV will "just work" like it does with my $40 upsampling
> DVD player

Go for it's VGA/DVI interface and let the Xorg configuration pull the
right settings in, shouldn't be a problem.
> The options seem to be (in order of my preference):
> 1. Unichrome video hardware that is present on many VIA mini-mobos

Nice.  Royal pain though.  Official drivers are hit n' miss, OpenChrome
support hit n' miss by all accounts.  Just because it says it can
accelerate X don't mean it'll be able to outside of Windows.  Lots of
potential but very 'meh' IMHO.
> 2. Intel video hardware that is present on many "on-board video" configurations

Currently not much cop, but with all the documentation now 'out there'
their should be a marked improvement in hardware decoding speed right
around the corner.
> 3. nVidia who does seem to be show must OSS-love lately

Loverly for 3D work.  Seems to be some oddities about XvMC and certain
revisions of card + drivers.  But, if I was buying right now, for a
workstation.  It would be an Nvidia I'd get
> 4. ATI who has traditionally been an OSS nightmare.

Similar situation to Intel really.  AMD have pushed out pretty much all
the documentation for certain revisions of GPU, expect the OSS drivers
to come on in leaps and bounds within 6/12 months.
> Keep in mind that I haven't thought about hardware since August of
> 2005.  I'm sure a lot has changed.

Not so much really, CPU's are faster, disks bigger, PCI-E is replacing
all the damn PCI slots on mobos...   you can get passive coolers for
that Althon XP you've got, need a big case though.
> After I decide on video, I will then choose a mobo with optical (maybe
> coax) audio.  I am going to research the viability of CF storage for
> an FE only system.  Then I will figure out how much ram I need to make
> sure I never swap.

I can 'just' get away with 256MB on the EPIA MII10K, just.  512MB would
be better.  Considering some of the IGP solutions can take upwards of
200MB these days I'd suggest just dumping 1GB in the box, RAM, even
DDR2, is cheap.

Before plunking the cash for the mobo, double check via google that you
can make use of the audio hardware on board.
> What do you think?  (Mainly about the video hardware.)

Considering Myth doesn't do anything with GFX (for the most part) and it
takes bugger all effort for a GPU to playback video; I'd go with either
an Intel or Via IGP solution, they're not "brilliant" but "good enough"
for Myth.