[mythtv-users] A different perspective on the "user experienceissue"

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Wed Feb 27 18:40:08 UTC 2008

--- This is a tad longer than I expected, if you don't read the whole thing,
please at least read the last paragraph. 'What I find confusing'

I don't know about this argument about a single machine. An end user that
has only 1 machine, I can't see the problem with asking them to run a
'power-setup' program for modifying low level settings that they will
probably only touch once, whilst reading the walkthroughs of how to install
myth on their OS. (if they are not capable of determining that mythtv-setup
[remember they only have 1 machine] is a power setup program for setting up
their capture cards, then it is quite possible that they will not be adding
an extra 3 capture cards 4 months after initial installation).
Secondly, who are we talking about 'end-users'? If we are to split users
into system installers, and end-users, but have all the configuration in a
single area, do we then need to consider adding pin-codes to any setup page
that could stop the system from working? My wife ain't dumb, far from it and
very computer literate for her job, but not giving her access to a program
which can stop the whole system from being able to record, is a relief. She
doesn't know any of the access details for the backend machine I have apart
from an auto-mounted SMB share.