[mythtv-users] Out of user jobs.

Jacob Strandlien kepesk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:25:28 UTC 2008

Hello!
I'm getting better and better at tweaking the MythTV settings to my
liking, but I've run into a bit of a quandry.

I've been having some trouble with the commercial flagging of some HD
shows that I record using my KWorld ATSC 115 cards.  The cards record
perfectly, but the commercial flagging is all over the place.  After
working on the problem for a week, I've discovered that the bad
commercial flagging only happens when I try to flag recording files
that are at 60 fps.  I know how to set up a user job to transcode the
appropriate files to 30 fps (using mencoder) before commercial
flagging.  The only problem is this:

I'm out of user jobs.

See, I have user jobs 1 and 2 set up to fix and filter certain
channels that come in iffy on my antenna signal, and I have user jobs
3 and 4 set up to flag commercials and transcode shows to two
different bitrates, depending on what I want the show's final quality
and disk space usage to be.  I could simply ammend jobs 3 and 4 to
contain the extra transcode to convert all recordings to 30 fps, but I
already do so much processing on my shows, it currently takes more
than twice as long to process them than it takes to record them.  If I
add the extra transcode to all recordings, the processing may not be
able to keep up with the new recordings.

So basically, I would like to only perform this extra transcode on
only the few files I need to convert to 30 fps before commercial
flagging.  But that would require a fifth user job.  Now, for my
money, four user jobs has never been enough.  But since MythTV is
free, my money doesn't really count.

So here's my question to you, the fine MythTV community: Is there a
way to either
a. set up some kind of a fifth user job?
or
b. set MythTV to initially save only half the frames of 60 fps files?
(Though I don't think this is possible using my non-encoding ATSC
capture cards)

Thank you in advance for your advice!