[mythtv-users] Issues recording

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 01:35:33 UTC 2008

Everyone,

I've asked bits and pieces of this question in prior posts with little
to no response, so this is my "every so often try again" post.  I have a
Myth box running FC6 and SVN from 11/19/07 via ATRPMs.  I have a
pcHD5500 card in it, along with Firewire connected to my Motorola
DCT-3412 STB.  I have Comcast in Southern New Jersey (just outside of
Atlantic City).

Now, when I scan for channels, I get 50 OTA channels (local ABC in
standard broadcast as well HD, etc.).  I have approximately 300 channels
that show up as UNKNOWN#???? (i.e UNKNOWN117#3).  I understand
completely about how the streams are being sent, but I can never tune
them at all.  I can only tune the OTA channels.

What perplexes me on this is that if I take the main cable in my house
and plug it into my cable-ready TV, I can tune channels 2-99 just fine.
I would expect the same thing to happen on my pcHD5500 card, at least on
the analog portion.  So I began to think that I must have some sort of
configuration/setup issue.

So I went through mythtv-setup again tonight and jotted down what I
thought would be the relevant settings, hoping one of you gurus would
spot something (obvious to you) that I may have overlooked.  I went with
Myth so I could record programs, and currently cannot.  I can listen to
music, watch videos, see pictures, listen to Sirius Satellite Radio, but
the main function I wanted was to record programs and this part is
severely lacking.

Option 1, under General, screen 2:
    TV Format:   NTSC
    VBI Format:   None
    Channel Frequency Table: us-cable

Option 2: Capture Cards
    Card shows up as DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
    Frontend ID: DViCO v2 or Air2PC v3 or pcHD5500 Subtype: ATSC
    Analog options:
          Video Device: /dev/video0
          Probed Info:   pcHD5500 HDTV [cx8800]
          VBI Device:   /dev/vbi
          Audio Device:   /dev/dsp
          Audio sampling rate limit:   48000
          Default Input:   Television

Option 3: Video Sources
       I have 1 SchedulesDirect lineup defined which has all channels
given by Comcast, based on my zip code.  I called this Video source
'CableDigital'
       Frequency Table:   us-cable

Option 4: Input Connections
       [DVB:0] -> CableDigital
       [V4L: /dev/video0] -> CableDigital
       [Firewire] -> CableDigital

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really stumped as to why, as I feel,
something so basic, that it seems like everyone on this list has
working, doesn't work for me.  Do I just live in a bad area?  Does
Comcast just screw me over so I HAVE to use their DVR (which I have,
BTW, but they keep raising the price on me)?  Most of the programs that
I want to record are on what I call "basic" cable (channels 2->99).  I
don't even care about recording things in HD at the moment.  Someday,
sure, but not currently.

Thank you very much for any help.  Let me know if I can provide any
further information.
Harry