[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end user experience.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Feb 26 01:59:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Sarah Hayes wrote:

>> Well, if you're not going to learn to code, write a patch or file a
>> bug then you're just complaining to complain. Carry on.
>>

> File a bug about what exactly?  If the UI is doing as the developer
> programmed it then is it a bug?  If a theme isn't scaling quite
> right is
> that an issue with the theme; the engine or the end user doing
> something
> silly?  How does the EU know it's a bug/them as the system doesn't
> provide "normal" (i.e. Windows-like) levels of feedback about their
> actions.
>

> Whatever your attitude towards end users is, your going to see more
> people appearing stating "this bit of Myth needs work" that's what
> happens when a piece of software goes mainstream.  Unfortunately the
> vast majority of those people either a) can't program or b) don't want
> to do their day job at home.  Simply writing off their suggestions
> because of that smacks of an elitist attitude.

> And yes, I can program C++ thank you very much.

You assumed I was a developer because I hate when end users complain
about something and then complain they can't do something about it
because of their lack of skill. I can't program in C++.
I'm an end user. When I see something that looks broken, I ask on the
users list. When people agree it's a problem and not just me doing
something wrong, I file a bug. Unfortunately, the part where he
actually complained about what was wrong with the UI was cut out of
subsequent replies (not by me). That part is the bug. I told him to
file it. He said no, so that seemed like the end of it to me.